Monday, November 5, 2012

I Am Not Okay:TodaysTv media.


I was glad to see Denzel Washington has a starring role in a new drama out entitled “Flight”. He, unlike many Black actors, has played the leading role in many Hollywood block busters, which have brought in huge revenue and many actor awards. He, unfortunately, is the exception and not the rule.
 As I scan the 300 cable channels on TV, I am discouraged by the lack of Black faces I see on the hundreds of stations I view. Growing up, Blacks were featured in comedy sitcoms, if nothing else.  With shows like “Good Times”, The Jefferson’s”, “Sanford and Son”, “Baby I’m back”, “What’s Happening”, and host of others Black sitcoms I grew up watching, it is really sad and discouraging to see the lack of sitcoms showcasing Black family life, social problems and humor.
With disproportionate stereotyping of Blacks and the over reporting of crimes of Blacks in the media, it is extremely important that Blacks have positive images that counter these destructive untruths of themselves.
Is there one serious drama starring an African American on television today, I asked a colleague? I was told there was one:  “Scandal”-featuring Kerry Washington.
I am not okay with only one drama featuring Black people on TV today. I am not okay with one only one Black man being selected to play key roles in good films. I am not okay with never seeing a Black super hero and with hardly seeing Blacks who are smart, confident and leaders. I am not okay with one Black princess to represent beauty and magic for our brown girls. I am not okay with Blacks only being allowed to play: the helper, the assistant, the side-kick, the follower, the nurturer and the muscle. I am not okay with having not one new Black comedy on television that I can laugh too. Not one!!I am not okay……are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment