Sunday, November 25, 2012

Internet and social media: Guess whose coming to dinner?

I asked myself what role, if any, did the Internet and social media play in my Thanksgiving dinner celebration this year and was surprised to find that it did play quite a significant  role, indeed.

I first used the Internet to search for recipes to add a little spice to the dishes I make every year and found an interesting way to make fruit salad-though I decided to wait until next year to try it, least I add change to tradition-which is rarely encouraged or accepted. Mostly what I found on the Internet is a confirmation that I know exactly what I am doing and that I can certainly throw down with the best of them in the kitchen.

I then used the social media, via Facebook, to connect with the my family and give the details for this years Thanksgiving gathering, since I host Thanksgiving at my house every year. Since I moved, it was necessary to give my new address and because I used the "event" tab on Facebook, I was also able to connect them to a direction link- with map, which showed them exactly where I lived. Not one call was made to ask for directions-nice!

After eating, I took the time to update my FB status and let everyone know I had finished my first plate and how yummy it was- inviting my social net associates into my Thanksgiving celebration -something I have never felt the need to do.Welcome to the family!!

Lastly, I publicly enjoyed compliments of my cooking and pleasures of being in my home and lots of family connectedness, including pictures, all on the Internet.

The Internet and social media has even positioned itself into family gatherings and family traditions. Guess there's nothing left to say- but grab a chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment