Thursday, November 8, 2012

Post Political BS Point

So, since we just voted Tuesday, I thought this blog post a friend linked to on Facebook would be interesting. Of course, the losers were bemoaning their loss--and called the results a "Sad and Tragic Day for our Nation." Basically, her point is that how the election went wasn't a legitimate tragedy, by any stretch of definition.

I think the reason I found this so fascinating is that is brings a sense of perspective into our lives we don't often think about. For example, I love when people drive around a parking lot for 5 minutes, waiting for a "close" spot to open up--never mind the fact they could have parked and walked into the store by the time they get that close parking place. As a person with a quadriplegic friend, I park wherever I can when I get to a store--and walk however far it is, simply because I CAN. I don't have to take 5 extra minutes to use a ramp to get in and out of my vehicle. I don't have to ambulate myself with an electric wheelchair. I don't need a colostomy bag. I am, simply put, able.

This also seems, in my opinion, to apply to the ubiquitous nature of the web. We can do so much now--and it seems that we are starting to take these freedoms for granted. Is this why the issues of patent, copyright, and trademark seem so much more important these days--that, because the web allows the average person to do so much, we (artists and such like) are becoming increasingly concerned with content? Are we worried that the non-egalitarian nature of the internet could devalue our culture?

I have no answers to these questions. But, I do know that perspective is very much the mind's paintbrush: it can color any situation. This seems to hold true in everything from political elections to the laws surrounding creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment