Thursday, October 11, 2012

Back in the day...


When I was a teenager, before MySpace came about, instant messaging was the main form of communication I used to keep in contact with my friends. My cell phone was pre-paid (as were most of my friends’) so texting was out of the question and there were only so many people you could talk to on the phone. After MySpace became popular, I frequented that social networking website to communicate with my friends. The support I received was almost always positive because the people I was communicating with online were the same people I was communicating with offline.

I believe if our actions are examined online, it makes us more accountable for our actions. There have been plenty of incidents where adolescents create videos of themselves fighting, hazing, or harassing others. These videos become viral and often end up on national television news channels. Therefore, instead of school officials, your parents, and your fellow students examining your actions, the entire nation is.

Online social communities are available for almost niches. However, this means that whatever group you belong to, there is an opposite group available online as well. For instance, there are both pro-anorexia websites and anti-anorexia websites. As long as these groups can stay within themselves and don’t produce flame wars, the Internet can be a great place for diversity. 

2 comments:

  1. Good thoughts! I agree with the accountability bit, though I did not write about it in my post. At the same time, accountability exists only when people are "really" who they are. Since we can pretend to be someone else, then accountability seems to be a little less easily "enforced." But that's just my opinion.

    And in regards to flame wars--yeah, that is where it can get frustrating. It is like people want to see what "the other side" is up to, but then don't like it, so go "postal" on their site/comment logs etc. Which brings up an interesting question: is this more divisive of community, in general? Not looking for an answer--just a rhetorical thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bring up a good point. Once anonymous, John Gabriel's Internet theory seems to come into play more often.

    ReplyDelete