Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Text Me But Don't Talk to Me

I just started reading Sherry Turkle book Alone Together. I am struck by how much we are all taken in to this notion that technology allows us to build our identity online as we want to be seen and not how others may see us. She mention that we are lonely yet we are fearful of intimacy. That digital connections offers (or may offer us) the companionship without the demand of friendship. We are able to hide behind an avatar from each other. We would rather text than talk. I feel that this is very true we can paint our self any way we want to be whatever we want people to think we are. Even those that are are close to us. A text message saying how much we care about someone isn't the same as being there with that someone. Hold someone close when they need some real support and love is lost with a quick note that says hang in there and that I love you.
It is quick and some would say at least they know that I care. Yet do they really know or has technology already moved us far enough apart that this is enough. Our depth of intimacy is is changing when we begin to believe that we know someone just because we are able to stay I touch with them yet not really be there.

1 comment:

  1. You make a good point! I would much rather be face to face with my friends than on the phone or FB chatting. Unfortunately, half of the time that involves a large number of people in a room together with their respective technological tools out. Sometimes I feel like I'm surrounded by smartphones instead of my friends!

    ReplyDelete