Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Gender and Performance

Throughout my grad career here at Metro, I have looked a lot at gender, as it applies to my TPS. What the Gayming article said is pretty standard--that biological sex is something we are born with, but gender is performative. That being the case, it would seem as though gaming and online activities really have the ability to disrupt some cultural boundaries. But, I think that has a lot to do with who is in power--the content makers.

As Shaw says, "Like girl gamers before them, the homosexual market for games is being appealed to as gays, not as gamers" (238). If we apply this to all online aspects--in my case, shopping, since that is much of my online experience aside from email (esp. during the holidays)--we will find that marketing can still target the stereo types. Simply knowing my biological sex could make ads pop up on email or Facebook or other such sites.  

However, that being said, the marketing online seems to be more savvy--that "they" are assessing what people browse for. Can a computer figure out one is "queer" by what is being purchased? Not necessarily. So, My browser  will show things like Big and Tall cycling clothes after I have been shopping for dad, or cat toys when I have been cruising Drs. Foster and Smith.

I think the problem of reinforcement really comes from the media stereotypes--particularly on TV/in the movies. For example, in Will and Grace, Will was the "typical" gay male who appeared "normal" but he had his "ginger fag-hag," Grace; and their friend was the stereotypical musically inclined gay male with the "bitchy (and boozin') fag hag," Karen. Granted, the show is older; but many stereotypes cling.

SO! I think that the online ether has the capacity to disrupt the "norms" and boundaries of offline society. But, it is a change that will likely be slow in the coming, and could very well depend on how other media (movies, TV) start to change with the times.

1 comment:

  1. Changing this requires that more people not only master the same sciences that Bernays and Lippmann pioneered with Public Relations and its related pursuits, but to use them as a group against the very power elite that current benefit from how things are. That's a generational process, and we're not there yet.

    ReplyDelete