Thursday, October 25, 2012

Where is this digital divide?


What is it, now, that separates us from cyberspace? Cords, electricity, our smartphones? The more research I do about Internet addiction and the more I read for class, the more the “digital divide” seems to exist only in people’s minds. While avatars and online gaming allow users to create separate identities, it is more common for people to represent themselves online as themselves than it ever was before.
Reading about Amanda Todd (I don’t think I’m related) really got me thinking about online and offline identities. Perhaps it is naïve to think that you can represent yourself truthfully without others taking advantage of it. This girl literally was so distraught by what was happening in cyberspace that she took her own life. Where was the divide then? She COULD NOT separate her real life from her digital life despite her efforts.
This also made me think of her harasser and his hidden identity. Although the public doesn’t know who this person is, would it be too outlandish to assume that if he harasses teenagers online that he thinks about or actually does it in real life as well? Could this personality trait of his be contained solely in cyberspace? Unfortunately, I think not. Despite the anonymity of the Internet, our true colors eventually show. At least, that’s what I think. 

2 comments:

  1. I like generally what you are saying yet there is a digital divide. There are costs involved that many people with very little income can not afford this in it's self is a divide.
    There are still many phones that do not allow access to the internet, and if you look around you can see them being used a great deal. There are also places in the US that are not accessible to a cell tower, why because there isn't enough people around to fund the tower.
    That isn't to say that this is changing yet to assume that everyone has the access to the internet just isn't true even with the growth and development of less expensive access. It is still an expense that takes from more necessary needs like food and housing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the digital divide, aside from economic status, is more something age related--at least, that has been my observation. My parents aren't too great with computers. Mom is better than Dad, but she actually tries. However, there is still a "slowness" to her comprehension of internet and digital devices that is not seen in people about my age, and the definitely the generation behind me. I think eventually the gap could close. I also think that how fast technology change could play a part in the gap--IE, if it changes TOO quickly, then knuckleheads like me might end up being on the "wrong" side of the divide as I get older. I wouldn't doubt that in my case for a second...

    ReplyDelete