Thursday, December 6, 2012

Telephone Game

I can honestly say this course has forced me to like at myself in a different light.  No one will say I am shy about expressing my feelings or opinions. If "shame" was apart of our genetic coding, I admit that I am missing that gene. As a  preacher's kid, I speak my words with convention. Yet, when social media is in place... silence fills the digital space.  When it seems that others exaggerate themselves online or remove any barriers to whom they identify themselves to be offline I exhibit the opposite behavior.  

In Las Vegas, visitors carry themselves in wild, crazed ways, encouraged by the lively Vegas atmosphere, compared to their demeanor in their home town around family, friends, and/or co-workers. However, for myself in Vegas,  I become a nun while my hometown identity is a Vegas showgirl. 

As I think about it, I enjoy hearing people talk about my strange, adventurous antics like folklore. Posting things online conjure up thoughts of all my actions, moments, thoughts being filed for future review or research like the many books in a library. 

The beautiful essence of the childhood game "telephone" was the funny interpretations  of simple statements being shared to each person in the telephone line. At the end an elaborate story emerged being more entertaining then the original statement.  Posting everything online erases the art of storytelling, engaging in the excitement brought by the storyteller.  

It is hard to edit a story once its been printed in a book.


No comments:

Post a Comment