Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A Little Piece of Me


So, this is a little blurry. I found this great site for creation: Cyrsandrea Dream Avatar Creator. I am amused that my first name is in there...

Anyway, I was very conscious when I was making this Avatar. I wear glasses when I don't have my contacts in, and I love purple and green. I also like silver hair (which mine will eventually be, if I am anything like my dad...and I am, genetically), and wear mostly black to work and when out & about. 

Basically, this "person" is a piece of me. It is not that I "hide" this part of me, or that I feel I can only be like this in certain places at certain times (like Bondage A-Go-Go--ha!). But, what it boils down to is practicality. I am a low maintenance person. I hate doing my hair in anything but braids/ponytails because it is too fine; I don't spend money on clothes (when there are bikes and sports stuff to buy, and event entrance fees to be paid); I do minimal make up because I know I am going to sweat it off when I work out and don't like it oozing into my eyes; and I like to sleep instead of spending 60 minutes each morning "dressing up." So, for all I love alternative/steampunk/goth/underground/punk-type cultures, it is just too much damn work to be that way all the time. Even in high school I went with just all black (50s Beatnik) because it was simple. I still do, as a matter of fact.

Oddly enough, the above is the "male" body type. The "female" body type was not too different, except for smaller hands, thinner thighs, and a little thinner neck. But that is not me. I am a stocky, muscular girl.

So, in any case, I can do online what I am basically too lazy to do in real life. And my attitude is if anyone--alternative or otherwise--thinks I am not being "me" (or "real"?) enough in real life, then screw 'em. We are multidimensional creatures. And, in fact, I despise people who are uni-dimensional. Who wants to move in just one "clique"? How boring. I like my ability to maneuver through different cultures, yet truly belong to none. Then again, I have always been a loner...so maybe I am just lying to everyone all the time...

3 comments:

  1. I sense a real struggle here. I don't think you're lying to anyone. You are just you and can "shape-shift" into any group you please. Doesn't mean you're ever faking it; I don't think that's you. You are just being you. An identity of many layers. Anyway. I like the idea of using your avatar as a palette for what you'd be like if you were high maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea, to me, you've captured an eclectic personality very well in your avatar. There is something edgy, but traditional about it. The silver locks and glasses bring a kindly grandma to mind, the corset and jewelry a feminine energy and the gunslinger jacket and stance an aggressive force to be reckoned with.

    That may not be your intention, but is just my perception. Which is the funny things about avatars (or real life) we can manage our presentation, but not the others' perception.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to think of my avatars as me 'me+time+money'. My avatars always have much cooler clothing, jewelry, tattoos, and piercings than I do! Plus sometimes they get shiny weapons!

    ReplyDelete