Thursday, September 6, 2012

It's been a long time coming...



It is one thing to say something in a conversation or in an informal setting; however, using a blog to express my thoughts has a greater element of permanency that I am currently struggling with.  Growing up among a variety of colorful people I have learned that when people are telling a story the fact, the truth can be lost amidst embellishments.  Resulting in the people hearing the story remembering different elements of the conversation without indisputable proof of what was actually said.

 A blog is a record similar to art painting in caves by our ancestors from generations past. Blogging forces me to be an active member in capturing “history” compared to being in the comfortable position as a passive observer of my surrounding. My cheese has been moved so therefore I must move with it.   

As I think about it, maybe I am experiencing fear… fear of people reading my inner thoughts. When we talk in person reading the body language and facial expression clue you to what you just said was inappropriate. In blogosphere, there are no non-verbal clues to indicate if my statements/thoughts are within the range of normalcy for our society.  

PS – I find it funny that “blogosphere” is a word – WOW

2 comments:

  1. I agree about the historiographical nature of blogging. Blogging really does create a treasure trove of past thinking and creativity. The thing that seems different to me is the idea of permanence - or permanence in the same version. Unlike the cave paintings (or at least much easier than with cave paintings) we can edit our blogs any time we wish - sort of "rewrite history!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the joy of the English language: blogging, googling--all the fun, evolving words from technology. Personally, I prefer the Shakespearean stuff, in terms of how fun it is to say. Words he invented: zany, rant, scuffle, puke, swagger, fashionable--I could go on.

    But no worries about your inner thoughts; if this is a performance, you can be whomsoever you would like, yes?

    ReplyDelete