Saturday, September 8, 2012

Be Who You Wanna Be?

After having read the material for this coming week, I was perusing the internet for interesting links about online identities. So, in the spirit of our fabulous instructors, here is a little video that shows one young woman's university experiment. I hope this isn't some sort of spoiler for class next week...

What is scary to me are some of the responses her identities elicited.This is precisely why my Facebook account is a pseudonym, even though I know I can be found in the virtual world. All I can think of, though, when it comes to any type of fully online relationship, can be summed up in photos:

What You Think You Look Like...


Now, am I saying this only applies to women? Of course not. To wit...

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/009/478/Naamloos.png

It is the expectation vs. reality--how we want people to see us vs. how we actually are. Of course these are hyperbole and intended for comedic effect. But the concept remains the same: can we really trust anyone we only know through the medium of cyberspace??

2 comments:

  1. Good one, Andrea! Personally, I will suppress any photo of myself that does not comply - at least loosely - with my illusion of self. Just last Saturday I attended a workshop and a group photo was taken at the end. I was shocked when I saw the photo because I had gone the whole day thinking I looked one way, but the photo showed me something else. Is this fallacy driven by media? I think the images can also come from real people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This idea reminds me of when I hear my voice recorded and played back. I'm always horrified and in denial that it's actually my voice! And, I have to admit, I do have strict qualifications for the pictures that I upload of myself online.

    ReplyDelete